Blog Search / Pesquisar neste Blog

Through my own experience as a Mentor.


Are you trying to find a Mentor, or are you simply looking for someone who agrees to share their skills, knowledge, expertise, and professional contacts with you? 

Mentors can help you set career goals, resolve difficult problems, and make sound career decisions. People with Mentors earn higher salaries, are promoted more frequently, and report higher job satisfaction than those without Mentors. You may already have one, since many mentoring relationships arise organically at work, or even in school, but if you’ve found yourself without a Mentor, and you want one, here’s a few tips on how to find one.

Are you looking for someone local? Is it important to you to meet your Mentor in person? Are you looking for someone with a particular skillset, or who works in a particular field? What kind of time commitment are you looking for? What’s important to you in terms of personality? What do you want to gain from the Mentor-Mentee relationship? 

Once you narrow down what you need from a Mentor, searching for one becomes easier, yet to search for potential Mentors online may not be that easy, that is the reason why I decided to create my Blog, starting with the article "Through My Own Experience as a Mentor", to help you finding the Mentor of your choice. 

There is no harm in considering a stranger to be your Mentor, if you take certain precautions, and there are a few places to look:
  • Search for potential Mentors online using LinkedIn, for example;
  • Look through the members of Associations related to your field, or the field you’re interested;
  • Check the alumni directory of your alma mater for potential connections, or
  • Fellowship Programs, such as:
  • The Fellowship for Emerging Leaders in Public Service – connect participants to Mentors; 
  • Mentorship Program - Meet and Greet, or 
  • Career Connections Programs.
Through my own experience as a Mentor, and finally to introduce myself, I may say that the Mentoring roles and responsibilities I consider to be my strengths are precisely some of my best qualities, such as my vision, the way I see Mentoring as one of the most important roles in society to massively benefit the general public. 

According with my past experiences, I can guarantee I am capable of empowering people, in order to Develop Their Own Strengths and Lead Him / Her (or Them) to a Successful Life.  I am Focusing On Generating Value For Others, while sharing my experiences based on decades of knowledge, including college degrees, 
training seminars, mentoring relationships, several certifications in different areas of expertise (administration and scientific fields, research careers, stress management techniques / self-help therapies, alternative medicines, and others) and by beginning each relationship with a getting-to-know-you session.

About responsibilities, I am and always was responsible for my acts and I always make sure I am as efficient as any person can be. Being good it is not enough, we must be the best of the bests,
 We Need To Go from Good to Great and my never-say-die attitude always brought me many benefits; Helping Others Always Made Me Feel Great! 

I can also add, at least, some of the most effective ways Mentoring can benefit people's development as Researchers, for example - Mentoring is to support and encourage people to manage their own learning, it helps develop full potential and it benefits all partners. The research base is strong, the need is clear, and it guarantees people that there is someone who cares about them. Success in a research career is typically defined as becoming an independent and a productive Investigator in one’s field.

There are several factors to consider when setting goals and these same factors will always be improved upon and the role I assume depends always on the needs of the Mentees.

I plan to more informally structure my Mentoringhowever mentoring relationships that take place outside of an institution-supported program can be formal in the sense that they are given some structure. The policies will always be adapted to suit individual needs. 

I generally use, among others, the following process, strategies, and tools: 

- Mentor-Mentee matching;
- Establishing expectations for the mentoring relationship, and 
- Evaluating the Mentoring 'effort', 

While reflecting upon the Strategies for Success, I think all aspects are important; since all will optimize my Mentoring skills, starting with The Importance of Relationships, the Types of Mentor Roles and / or Functions, ending with The Structured Process for Success. 

Are you finding my advice useful? 

Remember: Mentoring is ultimately a Blueprint.


NOTE: PT description maybe be available (not on Google Translator); feel free to contact me and I will be pleased to help. 
________________________________________________________________________________________

A descrição traduzida corretamente em PT poderá ser disponibilizada, caso seja necessário. Não hesite em contactar; ficarei satisfeita em poder ser útil. 
Grata pela sua atenção.



Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

Your comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Os seus comentários e as suas sugestões irão, seguramente, ser muito valorizados.

Where there’s a Will, there’s a Way - A Criação de Hábitos Gera Poder

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." Aristotle Seems like, nowadays, many of us a...